Ads 468x60

.

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Top 5 Antivirus Programs


Today, I have prepared a list of my top 5 antivirus programs. Now, keep in mind that this list is based on the following factors:

  • How much computer resources the antivirus takes up.
  • Price of the program.
  • User-friendliness
So let's begin with the list.

1. Microsoft Security Essentials


Although a lot of you readers might be shocked but yes, Microsoft Security Essentials or MSE for short is the best antivirus program (according to me). Actually, the thing I like most about MSE is that it's from Microsoft and secondly, it's free and it uses a lot less RAM than the other programs I've used. It's a lot more easier to use too.

Pros: It's a free software and provides superior protection from computer threats.
Cons: Only available for Windows Operating System.

2. ESET NOD32 Antivirus


Next on my list is, ESET NOD32. I've used it before and I was really impressed. I was thinking about placing it on the top of my list but the fact that it costs $60 for a single PC and that too for a 1 year license  made me place it on number 2. Just like MSE, ESET also took up a very small amount of my computer's resources and I didn't experience any slowdowns while gaming. Here's a screen shot of it's key features:
Click to enlarge.










Pros:
Very useful features and doesn't slows your PC.
Cons: The program is a little over-priced.

3. Avira Antivirus

Avira, like many other antivirus programs has two versions i.e the free version and the pro version which you obviously have to pay for but the best thing about Avira is that the free version provides more than enough features for your general home computer usage. It is a very fast program and detects viruses very fast and easily. The pro version includes two extra features which are: Scans websites and indicates if it has viruses (similar to AVG antivirus but is available for free) and Live Support, which I think is not that useful. Overall, it's a pretty neat program.

Pros: Very fast and easy to use.
Cons: The pro version doesn't offer much.

4. AVG Antivirus

I used AVG a long time ago. When I bought a new PC a few years ago it came pre-installed with the free version of  it. I was really happy with it as it was really easy to use. One thing I was really impressed with was that, whenever I would search something on Google or any other search engine, it would automatically scan all the websites in the search results and tell me if there was a virus in them or not. The free version worked okay but the pro version had some extra features. AVG used up a slightly larger amount of RAM than ESET and MSE which is why it's on number 4 in my list.

Pros: Internet search results scanning.
Cons: Higher RAM consumption.

5. Avast Antivirus

A little similar to AVG antivirus in design. It provides very basic security features. In the free version there is nothing unique that needs to be mentioned, but it is free and works quite better than many other paid programs. It took up about the same amount of my computer's resources as AVG did. The pro versions provide protection from hackers and makes your internet experience safer. However, browsers such as: Google Chrome already do that for you.

Pros: It's free and is good for normal home use.
Cons: Slows PC when gaming.


These are just my top 5 antivirus programs. I would love to hear about your favorite antivirus programs in the comments.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are highly appreciated. Constructive criticism is also welcomed.

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...